Well, it’s that time of year again, Scottish raspberries abound in our very own garden – about the only thing that we can successfully grow due to our cold northern climes – so very exciting. My kids have been complaining about the rather healthy baking lately so I thought I’d treat them to some chocolate. I couldn’t find the perfect recipe, so I tweaked quite a few others to suit my tastes/ingredients. I used sunflower oil instead of butter and not too many chocolate chips – I wanted the raspberries to be the stars but I like a hint of gooey chocolate.
Also, since I only have rather patriotic Union Jack Muffin cases we can eat them to celebrate our new future King who was born yesterday.
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- 125g sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 100 ml milk
- 90 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or a few chucks dark chocolate chopped up.
- 1 generous cup of fresh raspberries plus 12 extra to top each muffin.
- Sieve first five (dry) ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix next four (wet) ingredients.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry (do not over mix).
- Fold in berries & chocolate chips.
- Bake at 200C for 10 minutes then turn down to 180C for another 10 mins.
- Place a raspberry on top of each muffin before baking.